November 23rd, 2008
Raymond and Ann Eslick have owned the former Hall School, located on the northwest corner of 27 Mile Rd. and Schoenherr Rd. since 1996. The original school was built 1842 across the street on the southwest corner. The 1859 wall map of Macomb County shows the school on that site. The 1875 Macomb County Atlas has the location on the present site. Sometime between 1859 and 1875, the newer school was built, but there is no record of the exact date. The earliest records for the "new" school start in 1871. We chose a circa date of 1865 for the plaque. Elias Hall owned the property to the west of the school. His life was documented in Leeson's "History of Macomb County" on page 823. Born on February 9, 1799 in New Hampshire, he moved to New York State with his parents. He came to Michigan in 1832 and Washington Township in 1836. He was a blacksmith and at one time, the only man in Macomb County who could make edged tools. He probably built the school and it was named for him. He died on February 12, 1882.