Washington Township was named after the father of our country.
Washington Township is the only township in Macomb County that has an octagon house - in fact, it has two, the Loren Andrus House and the William Burt House.
William Austin Burt (inventor, surveyor, legislator, and millwright) settled in Washington Township in the 1824.
In his workshop in Washington, William Austin Burt constructed the first patented typewriter in 1829 and built the solar compass, which was patented in 1836. The solar compass was the prototype for those used today.
Dr. Dennis Cooley's home was located at the southwest corner of West Rd. and Van Dyke. The house eventually was used as a gas station and was ultimately demolished because of a fire.
Mary Jane Jersey was the first pioneer child born in Washington Township February 12, 1824.
In 1823, Washington Township (which included Bruce Township) contained thirteen families.
In 1827, the Village of Washington was the only post office between Pontiac and Mt. Clemens.
Asahel Bailey bought the first government land in Washington Township on July 3, 1821.
Washington Township has two "ghost towns" -- Mt. Vernon and Clifton, both thriving villages at one time.