The Greater Washington Area Historical Society was organized in 1975. Through the years, the Society has saved the old Washington High School, promoted the cultural arts, and collected and preserved many artifacts pertaining to Washington Township and the surrounding area. The Society is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization.
The most recent Newsletter can be downloaded here.
Projects we are currently working on include:
- Collecting and cataloging old pictures of people, events and buildings of Washington Township.
- Interior renovation of the Museum to provide added space for displays.
- Expanding the genealogy section at the Museum for Washington Township.
- Renovating the outside of the school building.
- Cataloging the artifacts in the John Dyer-Hurdon Boy Scout Museum and painting the room.
- We initiated a major fund raising project in 2016 which is the 100th anniversary of the Old Washington School building--our Museum. We have some funds set aside for specific projects but a long ways from the funding that is needed.
- If you are interested in meeting some interesting people, learning more about the history of Washington Township, and spending a few hours a week helping to save that history, join the Society and volunteer to help. We are always looking for new ideas and can always use a couple of extra hands. Not to mention -- it will give you a very good feeling!!!